Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Final Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs

Well its been building up to this!  Here is the final 10 songs of my rankings of Led Zeppelin.

10. How Many More Times - LZ1 - What a classic bluesy rock song from Zeppelin and one of two anthems from LZ1 (the other being Dazed).  This song was over 8 minutes long, but listed on the original album as 3:30.  Jimmy did this to try to trick radio stations in playing it on air.  Pagey's guitar playing is perfect and he even breaks out the bow on this one as well.  Plant kills this song with the lyrics.  "Now I got 10 children of my own...I got another child on the way that makes 11! I'm in constant heaven"  The rhythm of this song is very ominous.  Great track! "They call me the Hunter!"

9. I Can't Quit You Babe - LZ1 - "So I'm gonna put you down for a while"  Pure blues riff here.  Just totally grove to it.  Bonzo is very strong on this one as he pounds the drums.  Nothing is better than Jimmy ripping those blues riffs and Plant screeching out the lyrics!  This was the top ranked song from LZ1

8. Nobody's Fault But Mine - Presence - Oh boy, hang on to your hats.  Bonzo will knock your socks off on this one!  When he takes off after Jimmy and Plant's great intro its all over with! BOOM!  Again Pagey and Percy team up for some vocal/guitar play off each other.  Robert on the harmonica too as it kicks into an absolute rage of a song.  You can just see Bonzo just destroying those skins! A purely powerful song, one of the most powerful songs in the Zeppelin arsenal. This is the top ranked Presence song. 

7. No Quarter - Houses of The Holy - Let us take a dark trip to the olden days.  This song is very dark and devious about not giving or accepting quarter (mercy).  Song gives me chills every time.  The way Jimmy plays that guitar and the opening key board play by Jonesy.  Then Plant's voice deep and mysterious.  Truly a John Paul Jones gem as it features him on the keys.  If you get a chance to hear the bootleg "Snow Jobs" a concert in Vancouver in 1975 they completely go into some jazzy jam session.  Amazing.  "Walking side by side with Death"  "The dogs of dome are howling more"  This is one of three songs in the top 10 for Houses of The Holy.

6. Ten Years Gone - Physical Graffiti - One of three songs in the Top 10 for Physical Graffiti is another chilling song that any person can take and make the meaning of this song their own.  Jimmy played so many Guitar tracks on this one (14 I believe).  John Bonham is very powerful but deliberate.  You can hear so much feeling in this song and Plant's voice.  "Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me..In the midst I think of you, and how it use to be"  All the lines can make the hairs stand up. 

5. Kashmir - Physical Graffiti - What a beginning!  This is truly one of the biggest anthems Led Zeppelin produced.  The feeling of this song is truly one of a kind.  Led Zeppelin at their Musical pinnacle.  They even brought in session players to play the strings and horns.  This song is about the wasted, wasted, wasted lands.  "All I see turns to brown, As the sun burns the ground. And my eyes fill with sand" This piece is truly a master piece. Plant completely kills it with his vocals.



4. The Song Remains The Same - Houses of The Holy - A completely groovy song that gets your feet moving from the very beginning as Jimmy takes off.  You can just see him gliding across the stage playing this one.  Plant on a high octaves in this one... "I had a dream...crazy dream"  "Everything that's small has to grow"  Now what was Plant talking about here?? Now I will admit that his song is probably higher then you would imagine but it was clearly influenced by the movie The Song Remains the Same as it was paired with the next song in the rankings. 

3. Rain Song - Houses of The Holy - Right after they rip into The Song Remains The Same, Rain Song settles everything down.  As far as I'm concerned these two songs must always be played together as they did live time and time again.  This song is about seasons of love.  A nice acoustic jam by Pagey. Jonesy on the Mellotron really gives it a feel of an orchestra.  Beautiful song with long musical interludes. "This is the summer of my smile.  Flee from me keepers of the gloom."  This one completely relaxes you...and then the end...BOOM.  Bonzo hits it hard and Plant belts it out!  Masterful. The highest ranked song from Houses of The Holy.

2. In My Time Of Dying - Physical Graffiti - Slide guitar please!  An almost 11 minute complete jam!  My god does Bonzo hammer those drums!  A true gem as it starts slow and bluesy and then thunders on as only Zeppelin can do.  Jimmy is just masterful in this one.  It builds and builds...until it completely explodes into a monstrous rock!  One of Bonzo's best songs ever.  "Saint Peter at the gates of heaven won't you let me in!"  Completely rocks out!  Pagey on the guitar is amazing as he mixes and switches them out rocking out! Plant shouting out "Oh my Jesus".  A journey and pleading to let them all in the golden gates, even if they..."only wanted to have some fun" Top ranked Physical Graffiti song.

1. Since I've Been Loving You - LZ3 - Well here you go.  The number one song.  Oh my goodness.  This song....what can I say. You really just need to listen to it.  This is the soul of Led Zeppelin.  When you hear it you can completely hear and feel so much soul and passion in this song.  Jimmy Page's best guitar work ever on this one. If you watch the movie Song Remains The Same his fingers fly so fast on the neck of his Fender.  "Since I've been loving you, I'm about to lose my worried mind"  Jonesy on the organ is perfect.  If you listen closely to the studio version you can hear Bonzo's base pedal squeak, which just takes you back to the days of unprocessed pure rock. "Said I've been crying! Oh my tears fell like rain" Chills every time. 

Thank you Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones for putting out this and every one of your songs.  There will be nothing like them ever again...........




1 comment:

  1. Well Cherry..I have to say that I was impressed with the top 10. A true fan with a history of Zep roots w hen going through the early years of life truely can appreciate more than Stairway and Whole Lotta Love. Definitely some of my faves this top 10..DCR

    ReplyDelete